This question is not easily answered. There is no law that says you are required to use a realtor when purchasing a home. With that said, why would you not want to take advantage of the free services a realtor can offer to be very beneficial to your home buying experience? Being a buyer it doesn’t cost you a cent to have real estate agent represent you. It can actually save you thousands when buying a house! Realtors are trained and committed to protect and serve in the buyers interests above all else.
Buying a house is a huge financial and emotional commitment. The purpose of having a realtor is to have someone who represents you as a buyer and be a liaison between the seller’s agent and you. Realtors can take the stress out of buying a home; but how? Here are just a few of the many services real estate agents offer:
- Realtors have the tools and resource to find your dream property. A real estate agent has the education and means provided through the NAR to search property profiles based on the buyer’s criteria to find homes that fit their interest.
- Realtors can help you determine your buying ability. This is beneficial in finding lenders that best fit your needs and financing options. Knowing how much you can finance will point you in the direction of homes that are available for your price range.
- Realtors are educated in all facets of the buying process. Realtors can assist in making sure you get the best price for your buy. They have the tools to do comparable sales through tax rolls, gather sales history, property data and demographics, neighborhood services, run reports on sale-priced and list-price ratios on the seller’s agent, etc. Most importantly though a real estate agent will know pricing strategies and be the buffer when negotiating an offer on the house between you and the seller’s agent.
- Realtors are familiar with the area. In majority of cases the realtor you select will be a resident of the area or near the area. Realtors will know the neighborhoods, demographics of the area, school districts, churches, etc.
- Realtors write the contracts. This is where buying a home can be tricky, and unless your educated in law or contract negotiation, a realtor can be very helpful. Realtors are trained and qualified to cover all provisions so that all agreements are clear and concise to all parties.
- Realtors make the details less stressful. When it comes to the details real estate agents know who to contact to make your buying experience the best it can be. They are familiar with reliable and responsible professionals for taxes, insurance, inspectors, contractors, lawn/cleaning services, utilities, etc. A realtor is there to make your life easier and less stressful.
These are just a few of the many services a real estate agent can offer you when purchasing a home. Remember that the agent is there to put your interest above their own and to make the purchase of your new home as professional and stress free as possible.